The American Red Cross urges blood donors to give in the final weeks of summer to help prevent a blood shortage.
Blood donations often decline in August as final summer vacations are planned and back-to-school activities ramp up. On average, order during the summer months, pilule about two fewer donors give blood at each Red Cross blood drive than what is needed.
Donations are needed now to help ensure blood is available for patients in need. Donors with types AB, O negative, B negative and A negative blood are especially encouraged to donate. Plasma from type AB donors can be transfused to patients of any blood type, as can type O negative blood. Type B negative and A negative blood can be transfused to Rh-positive or negative patients. These are the most in demand blood types and are in constant need.
Upcoming Richmond-area blood donation opportunities:
- 9 a.m. – 11:45 a.m., Johnston Willis Hospital, 1447 Johnston Willis Drive, Richmond
- 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Richmond RSMO Cary Street, 420 East Cary Street, Richmond
- 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., First baptist Church, 2709 Monument Avenue, Richmond
- 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., VCU Globe, 830 W. Grace Street, Richmond
- 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Southside Regional Medical Center, 200 Medical Park Boulevard, Petersburg
- 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, 800 S. Cathedral Place, Richmond
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School, 2101 Venable Street, Richmond
For a complete list of donation opportunities or to make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org, or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license, or two other forms of identification, are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds, and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors, 18 years of age and younger, also have to meet certain height and weight requirements. For a complete list of donation opportunities or to make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org, or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).