The Holidays are a time for sweet memories, a time when home bakers pull out their “go to” cookie recipes to make, decorate and display on holiday platters for family and friends to enjoy. This year, take your cookies and creativity to the next level.
Try adding your own creative touches to sugar cookies for a new twist on a holiday tradition. Decorative Sugar Cookies combine the cozy flavors of butter, sugar and vanilla. Decorate these cookies with Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting, a slightly thinner frosting that produces a shiny glaze effect. The always popular Butter Cream Frosting is also a classic topper because it spreads on thickly so decorations can be added with ease.
• Chill your dough until it is easy to handle before cutting into shapes.
• After baking, move your cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before icing them so your icing doesn’t melt.
• Add decorations – such as sparkling sugars, candy bits or colorful sprinkles – while the icing is still wet so decorations can set.
Decorative Sugar Cookies
4 1/2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frosting or icing of choice
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and shortening in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as possible with mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Spoon each half onto plastic wrap. Shape into disks and wrap tightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight until dough is easy to handle.
3. Heat oven to 375° F. Using one disk at a time, place dough on floured surface and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with floured cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugars, if desired.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly golden. Remove immediately to cooling rack. Cool completely. Frost with Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting, if desired.
Makes about 3 dozen 2-inch to 3-inch cut-out cookies.
Shiny Sugar Cookie Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon almond, lemon or vanilla extract
1. Combine powdered sugar and milk in small bowl. Stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup and extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Divide into separate bowls. Stir in food coloring. Dip cookies or brush icing onto the tops.
Makes frosting for 3 dozen cookies.