By Dell Claiborne
Yep! It’s happening! Skies are blue and the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming! It’s happening! The number of open house signs you’re seeing has increased and your thoughts are turning to buying or selling a home. Those, dear friends, are a few of the signs of the spring real estate market and It’s in full bloom. So I’ve put together a little list of the things for you to do in order to take full advantage of this great season. So here is my TOP 5 TO DOs for buyers. I’ll countdown just like the guy on that semi popular late night TV show!
5. Make a list of everything you need and then everything you want in your new home. I call these the “needs” and “like to have” lists. This will help you narrow down style, size and important features you want in the home.
4. Contact a mortgage lender to determine exactly what your price range is before you start looking. You can either contact your bank or a specific mortgage broker. Either should be able to help you answer that question.
3. This one is my favorite…Call a Realtor! Sit down with them and tell them the things you came up with on your lists and what you’ve determined is your price range. Then watch the magic happen. Your realtor will be able to come up with lists of homes that fit into the criteria you’ve come up with. This person isn’t just a tour guide for the homes you choose to view, but your tour guide through this entire process from first viewings to closing on the one you love.
2. Visit as many houses as you need to see to comfortably narrow it down and choose one. This is going to be your home, so make sure it’s what you want and is somewhere you don’t mind spending some time. This is a big investment in both time, money and energy. So take your time with the decision.
And the Number 1 most important to do for buyers in the spring market is…….
1. HAVE FUN!! We are still in the midst of a strong buyers’ market. This is the perfect time for you to buy! The inventory or number of homes on the market is still pretty high so you have a huge selection of homes to choose from to find the one that suits your needs and wants. Remember that the huge inventory is playing a major role in keeping house prices low. Perfect for spring time or any time buying. Also, the interest rates on home mortgages continue to be an all time historic low. So get out there and get your piece of the American dream of homeownership. Now is the time!