Just in time for Thanksgiving, ailment try this heart-healthy recipe of a traditional soul food dish generally considered unhealthy.
From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s new cookbook:
Three-Cheese Macaroni Bake
Serves 6; 1/2 cup per serving
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces dried whole-grain elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon shredded or grated Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon shredded or grated Parmesan cheese, ed divided use
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1/2 teaspoon no-salt-added all-purpose seasoning blend
- 1 medium Italian plum (Roma) tomato, cut into 6 slices
- 1 tablespoon plain dry bread crumbs (lowest sodium available)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 1-quart baking dish or 9 x 5 x 3-inch glass or ceramic loaf pan with cooking spray.
Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the Cheddar, ricotta, sour cream, milk, egg white, onion, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoning blend. Stir in the pasta. Spoon into the baking dish. Arrange the tomato slices on top.
In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, and remaining 1 teaspoon Parmesan. Sprinkle over the casserole. Lightly spray with cooking spray.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown around the edges.
Nutrients Per Serving
Total Fat 2.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 157 mg
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fiber 2 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 10 g
1 1/2 starch
1 lean meat
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Healthy Soul Food Recipes, Copyright © 2012 by the American Heart Association. Published by Publications International, Ltd. Available from booksellers everywhere.