Virginia Department of Health Offers Free Breast and Cervical Cancer Screenings through Select Bon Secours Richmond Facilities
Every Woman’s Life Program provides access to screenings for eligible, uninsured women
It’s no secret that early detection of cancers, particularly women’s cancers such as breast and cervical, can reduce death rates, improve treatment options and greatly increase survival outcomes. Bon Secours Richmond Health System is proud to be a provider site for a unique program called the Every Woman’s Life Program offered by the Virginia Department of Health. This public health program helps uninsured and underinsured women, who meet eligibility criteria, to receive access to free breast and cervical cancer screening services, long-term care and payment of these medical services.
This program is available to those who fall under the criteria below:
- Women ages 50-64 years who need to be screened for breast or cervical cancer and are eligible for the Every Woman’s Life Program
- Women 40-49 may be judged to be eligible, given certain restrictions
- Women 18-39 may be eligible under tightly restricted criteria
- No one under the age of 18 may be eligible at this time
- Women eligible for Medicaid coverage as part of the Every Woman’s Life Program must be age 18 through 64 and cannot have creditable health insurance that covers the treatment of breast or cervical cancer
- All patients MUST be screened for breast or cervical cancer (including pre-cancerous conditions) by a medical provider that is operating under the Every Woman’s Life Program, see the participating Bon Secours facilities below
- Women, between ages 40-64, who think they may be eligible should call (804) 359-WELL to secure qualification for the program
Seven different clinics located at six Bon Secours facilities currently serve as clinic sites for these free breast and cervical screenings, including mammograms. As an administrative provider, Bon Secours also provides case management to each woman, between the ages of 40-64, ensuring that she gets the follow-up care as determined by screening results. In addition to the free screenings and follow up, the administrative provider gives appropriate health education to each woman.
Every Woman’s Life-specific clinics are open at:
- Memorial Regional Medical Center in Hanover
- St. Mary’s Hospital in Henrico
- St. Francis Medical Center in Midlothian
- Watkins Centre in Midlothian
- Richmond Community Hospital in Richmond
- Laburnum Diagnostic Imaging Center in Richmond
Women, between ages 40-64, who think they may be eligible should call (804) 359-WELL to secure qualification for the program. Women ages 18-39 with a documented breast or cervical problem may be seen, but are advised to call (804) 359-WELL prior to a planned clinic visit to ensure they secure qualifications.