Registration for the free prekindergarten program of Petersburg City Public Schools opens in March. Parents with 3- and 4-year-olds are urged to apply as soon as possible for prekindergarten for the 2018-19 school year.
Petersburg prekindergarten is a free, full-day program of engaging, hands-on education that prepares students to succeed in kindergarten and beyond. Children who live in the city of Petersburg, who will be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 30 and whose families meet income guidelines are eligible to apply for prekindergarten at Westview Early Childhood Education Center, which is located at 1100 Patterson St.
Registration for children who will be 3 years old by Sept. 30 will take place at Westview: 10 a.m.-noon March 20-22 and 3-5 p.m. March 22.
Registration for children who will be 4 years old by Sept. 30 will take place at Westview: 10 a.m.-noon March 27-29 and 3-5 p.m. March 29.
Parents or guardians must bring several documents when they register children for prekindergarten:
- child’s birth certificate
- photo ID of parent/guardian
- proof of residence in Petersburg (current utility bill, mortgage or lease; if you live with family or friends, then there is a form that must be filled out and notarized)
- proof of income
- immunization record
- physical examination within past 12 months
- child’s insurance cards and dental exam within the past six months (for Head Start)
Free bus transportation is provided to all children who are accepted into Westview Early Childhood Education Center. During the school year, Westview students are in school 9:05 a.m.-3:55 p.m., and free breakfasts, lunches and snacks are provided for every student every day.